To do a dull thing with style is better than doing an edgy thing without it.

Recent Posts

23 January 2016

Rebirth. An inspired creative short.

















She was sat at the corner of the bench on the sidewalk. The first thing you'd notice about her was her uneasiness, she was fidgeting with the purple bag on her lap and her eyes kept darting
back and forth, like she wasn't sure which direction whoever it was she awaited was coming from and she didn't want to be caught off guard.

Curiosity apparently took the better of me for I also joined in her anticipation for my eyes kept darting to every passerby thinking it may or may not be he who she was eagerly waiting for. I just had to see who or what this anxiety was all about.

She glanced at her left wrist from a force of habit I guess at a watch that was probably cradled in a jewellery box somewhere at her home for her wrist was bare. She stopped a laughing couple across her and asked them for the time and didn't look too pleased with the response to the time she got, I presumed whoever she was waiting for was keeping her here longer than she wished to be.

To busy myself while we both waited, I studied her a little closer and realised she had a darkened redness to the left side of her cheek that wasn't on the right, she seemed to be aware of it as she constantly readjusted her scarf to conceal her face a little more. I wager that redness is no birthmark but a bruise and willing to wager some more it was inflicted by someone who once upon a time proclaimed undieing love.

I took my eyes off her for a second to shoo the fly buzzing/zeroing in on my muffin on its merry way and spilled my coffee which I'd barely touched and had most of its content dripping off the bench to the floor.

Shoo, shoo away I mouth while waving my hand at the fly that clearly felt it had equal rights to my muffin
It took me a couple minutes to clean up the mess I had made on the bench and in that space of time, fidgety lady (That's what I'd dubbed her for now) had dissapeared.
Where had she gone?
I looked around but no trace of her, almost like she was never there in the first place, alas, she was, evidence of her curious presence at the park lay propped by the side of the bench. She'd left behind her purple bag on the floor by the bench, few steps away from where she had sat and something about the bags placement told me she wasn't coming back for it.

The longer I stared the more I felt something off about the bag. Something kept drawing me to that bag and I could swear I noticed some sort of movement, I looked around and promised myself I won't go close but it was going to be dark soon and I needed to get back home. I walked towards the bag and discovered the zipper was half undone, my senses heightened and I couldn't help myself. I moved closer and I was not prepared for what I saw in the bag.
Inside the bag held the most beautiful baby I ever laid eyes on. She stirred and yawned a little and I knew she was going to be fully awake any minute and hungry as well.

Few yards away, Cynthia felt relieved, she had tried for several days now to catch the pretty lady's attention, hoping and praying that she would be the one to be curious and caring enough to notice her antics. She had met her at the 'Teen's with a Difference' seminar four months ago and was immediately taken by her soft spoken nature and class but mostly by the genuine kindness that exuded from her. She decided then that when she had her baby she'll give it up to her.

Short stories extracts from my creative writing class.




Share:

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Nice one though....But what if d lady in question is not ready to care for a baby?

Thisislabel said...

Good question Judith and thanks for your observation. That was a class activity for a fiction writing course I'm taking,and it was meant to be short and descriptive of an object and in this case it was the purple bag. But you can come up with suggestions on how the story could go and I'll post it on here. Thanks.