To do a dull thing with style is better than doing an edgy thing without it.

Recent Posts

24 May 2016

Chibok Girls: A tale of many shadows.


It was two years ago, 200 plus girls put a heretofore unknown town/LGA on the map. At this point, if you are Nigerian and the name “Chibok”
does not ring a bell, then seek out a doctor. You may have empathy issues because the likes of P-Diddy, Ellen Degeneres, the first lady of the united states even, have heard of little town Chibok.





2 years ago, 200+ Chibok girls were infamously abducted by a terrorist cell. I received that news with profound sadness like any human with a conscience would, but I and all the 9 billion conscientious humans aside, imagine those 200+ girls. Imagine the ordeal (both mental and physical) these girls would have had to endure and are still enduring. The fear that would have gripped those innocent hearts when vile men came brandishing weapons of war in their faces and making away with them in the dead of night. Girls whose only offense was wanting to empower themselves by seeking out education. One reason I am particularly moved by this ordeal of the Chibok girls is because I am an alumni of the university of Maiduguri. And it just saddens me that a place that helped forge some of the dearest acquaintances in my life will forever be synonymous to death, angst and destruction. All thanks to an unruly group of people.

Small confession, often times, when I feel like life is taking its toll on me, I draw strength from the Chibok girls. I know that may sound a tad off/insensitive of me, trying to equate my couple bad days to the hellish nightmare these young girls are going through but that is just my point, my bad day is nothing compared to what they are having to endure so if they can face worse, i have no reason to complain.

It's a terrible thing what they are going through and I feel super sad for their parents also. Praying and hoping their children are still alive out there in the forest but disturbed by the state and abuse they would be in and had to have endured. I heard a while back heard of an aggrieved father who worried himself to death. No joke, he died of a broken heart. From the pain he imagined his daughter going through. One hears things like this and short of wishing a thousand deaths upon those vile abductors causing  so much grief, one turns into a strong proponent of the whole #BringBackOurGirls movement and berate anyone that tries to belittle the purpose of said movement. ( NB, some conspiracy theorist have theorized that the whole thing is just a carefully thought out charade. That how can not two, but two hundred plus girls just go poof in the middle of the night in Borno state. A state that as at 2014 had more check points than they had roads.)

If truly all of this has just been a political debacle, then Madam First Lady at the time is one hell of an actress...or comedienne...or both.

However months passed and so many stories and questions started to crop up, some reasonable, like why were the girls left alone in the school? Where were the teachers (apart from the one that "waka come" during Madam First Lady's famous speech)? The school administrators, the security, when these girls were abducted, were they killed? What about the reports from Waec to the school that exams couldn't be conducted due to security reasons and why the governor of the state issued a directive that the exam should go on. Doesn't that signify provision of proper security measures or if not, why wasn't he questioned? Then came the infamous drama that ensued in the state house of our then first lady, the popular "cry of there is God ooo" people laughed and until now we still laugh but maybe no one listened to what happened there that day. Well, that is in the past.

Some stories concerning our Chibok girls were outright ridiculous and to those I didn't lend my ears. Even after mystery and some disturbing silence began to surround the Chibok Girls matter a couple months after their abduction. For some of us, constant prayer never ceased from our lips to Gods ears for their rescue.

Fast forward two years later, I am sat at the lobby of The Sheraton and half having a conversation with colleagues but mostly thinking of how to grab a quick bite, for my tummy was grumbling hence, the 'half' having the conversation. Boredom kicked in and like I always do when bored, my eyes wonder. My eyes darted from left to right and all around until it settled on the tv or precisely put, “Breaking News on CNN”. News had suddenly broke that one of our Chibok Girls ‘Amina Nkeki Ali’ had been rescued. All my senses returned to me, I was super excited and damn near doing cartwheels because for once, this news meant progress and positive developement. It was a little frustrating that CNN other than Amina being rescued, had very little detail to report on the matter. Quickly, I called a friend and the first thing she told me is either there was more than one girl rescued or this rescued girl has a ton of aliases because the military are feeding the media one name and bloggers another. Her words - “conspiracy upon conspiracy" (did i mention my friend is one of the conspiracy theorizers?). I concluded that I called the wrong person. So I went online to source for info myself and came off a little confused.

According to info filtering in at the time, apparently, she (Amina) was aided in her escape by someone who part-took in her abduction (and that of over 200 other girls) and somewhere in between the last two years he became her husband and father to her toddler (yes o..she don born pikin). Apparently he aided her escape because sourcing for food had become difficult and he did not want his FAMILY to starve to death. There’s even pictures of them sat side by side, he holding their baby at an army barracks somewhere in Borno. I am not too conversant with laws governing soldiers, war or insurgents but i thought to myself seeing that picture at the time...”this amnesty thing makes no sense”...so he kidnaps her, gets her (a mere teen) pregnant and he returns her white flag and all and all is supposed to be right as rain?

Next thing the Nigerian public hears, Amina will get to meet the President. Mind blowing right? And she does get to meet the President. But guess who is a part of her entourage? Amir aka her Abductor aka her rapist aka her saviour. I just tire. And the whole thing reeks like that one time some one farted in a car that had its AC on and windows up.
A member of a terrorist cell carry d girl escape, good and fine, shouldn’t he be in cuffs? Ok there could be an amnesty deal being brokered or in place encouraging BH believers to drop their guns and pick up white flags and all their passed sins be forgiven. Only problem is I do not see any parent that would stand by and watch a political deal allow a perpertrator go scott free after inflicting harm on their child. God forbid anyone makes away with my baby girl, go give her belle then return her. For front of Buhari, Zeus or the Pope even I go run on top table, give the punk round house kick then stab him 50 times with my heels (or even flats). Make I see weda amnesty no go cover aggrieved and emotionally tormented parent like me.
At the time of our rescued Chibok girl news breaking, he was reported as her abductor cum husband (or am i the only only one that caught that?) Ergo he is ex Boko Haram. So i was thinking, why isn’t the military saying “listen buddy, we been searching for your hide out for damn near 3 years now, good soldiers have lost their lives in this search for you, why don’t you be a doll and show us on this here map were the rest of the 200 plus girls are holed up..while wearing a shirt that says the army believes in second chances. And when he's done with an accurate map, you go all Liam Neeson on him...while wearing a Tee shirt that says The army lies.

I had not finished digesting disturbing piece of info when next morning I wake up to another setting the records straight. Guy who was formerly reported as her husband is suddenly her brother. Talk about covering up a massive goof.



And another Breaking News barely 2hrs later!! Another one of Our Girls had been rescued and this time before i did cartwheels i read every bit of info concerning this new developement and yes, it stank.
The authenticity on whether or not newest rescued victim is one of the Chibok girls is highly debatable. What with 2nd rescued girl 'Serah Luka' said to be no. 157 on the list and in Jss 1. A list we were previously told comprised of girls set for their WAEC examination. An examination everyone knows you’d have to be in SS3 to sit for. Again, Or am I the only one that read that? Then barely a day later, news that Serah Luka is NOT one of our Chibok Girls but a mere impersonator filters in. Monkey balls.

Well I feel sad for Amina and all she’s had to go through and the rest of the girls that still remain in captivity IF there truly are ABDUCTED Chibok Girls out there. And I immensely applaud the courageous efforts of the Nigerian military towards restoring peace and security in the north eastern states and Nigeria as a whole. Their efforts and the roles they play in peace restoration should not be watered down by politics. And for those that want to play politics with human lives (you know who you are), abeg make una dey fear God, because one day we'll all atone for what we have done, good or bad.

So before I over talk and people start to tag me a wailing wailer, let me just reiterate, I'm not!!  I'm just a concerned citizen that demands the truth and nothing but. Lastly let me just add.. before making information public on such delicate matters as this (or anything that concerns the Nigerian people), make UNA wey dey feed us news dey double check una sources na.

May more positive feed back comeout on any and everything concerning our Girls, Nigerians and the World in general. Namaste.

Share:

0 comments: