To do a dull thing with style is better than doing an edgy thing without it.

Recent Posts

12 March 2016

Africa; Land of the resilient and hopeful people.



During a discussion the other day with a friend, we went on about how things have gotten quite hard in the country. Our salaries had not been reviewed in forever, no light, no fuel and a side joke me and my girlfriends always tell
ever since the state of the naira-dollar black market rate, dollar don cost for market. Someone actually said that and we picked it up (like the dollar is an actual consumer product), and that's my point. We still find time to tell jokes and laugh about our predicament. Even if the price per litre of fuel goes up to NGN200, Nigerians will still turn up for work the next day. Yeah there'd be snickering and complaining, but work goes on. That either says we are resilient as metal or things are not as bad as we paint them. I think its a draw between the two after-all, price of gala has not changed despite the fuel and dollar crisis, Coke and Pepsi still gifted us with Long throat bottles despite the dollar crisis didn't they? Did you know but for a few, many African countries still rely on the 25cl coke bottle?



As much as there might be turmoil in the streets, our situation pales when compared to other countries. We are not War torn. Famine is near non-existent in these parts. I realized how lucky we are after I stumbled upon an article on upworthy where a number of kids living in Africa were quizzed on their dreams in life, and despite growing up in impoverished nations, their responses touched me.
Photographer Vincent Tremeau, a former aid worker turned photographer, began the project while completing an assignment on the humanitarian crisis in the Central African Republic (CAR). He decided to get to know the children at the refugee camp and came up with the idea for portraits. He captured Kadijatu, and dozens of other children living in western and central Africa for his latest project, "One day, I will." The series features portraits and stories of the children dressed up as the people they want to become.

Meet Francoise, a teenage girl with an infant son, who's determined to become a nurse through hard work in school. She shared her story of resilience with Tremeau.


My name is Francoise, I am 15 years old, I have a child named Chance. He is 1 year and 4 months old. As soon as I wake up in the morning, I wash my baby’s clothes before I go to school. While I am away, my grand-mother looks after him.
When I go to school, I am not ashamed of anything. But others cannot understand why I am a student while I already have a child.
I tell them that if I study, it is exactly because I want to help my child. Even though others make fun of me, I let them talk and go to school anyway
."
Here's Kadijatu Mamane Zeinan and she wants to be a teacher.She's living in Niger, a west African country plagued by external threats. Attacks from terrorist group Boko Haram have killed thousands and driven families from their homes. And new threats from Libya make it tough to secure her country. But despite the uncertainty, Kadijatu remains optimistic about her future.



Meet Salifa Adamou, who wants to protect forests in Niger.



This young lady in Niger wants to be a journalist.



Georgine, 13, from the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) wants to be on the radio.



And then there are electricians, like this little guy in the CAR.



Sakima, 10, from Niger hopes to be an educator.
 

Yakouba Senou, 11, from Kolondieba, Mali wants to be a science teacher.



And check out this fabulous future pilot from the CAR.



Healthcare professions are popular too. Like this future nurse in the CAR.



And Sekou, an aspiring doctor from Mali.



Some of the kids hope to work with their hands, like Rajikou Ibrahima of Niger who wants to be a mechanic.



Or Issouf Konaté of the Fakola Village in Mali who wants to become a chicken farmer.



And get your first look at David Kamaté , age 9, who is just a few decades away from becoming the president of Mali.



"I think about this young girl who said she wanted to be a basket maker, so she can sell baskets and take care of her future children if she has to get married to a drunkard or a irresponsible husband," he told Upworthy.




Their countries are plagued by war and conflict but despite all that, these young children see nothing but a bright future or one they will help make a difference in.
What dreams and aspirations do you have that can help shape the world? Asides bickering about the state of the country that is? You know this article should have a third sub-sub heading that read Nigeria; we sabi complain but i didn't want folks to start "complaining" about that.

Share:

3 comments:

Tout Sur l'Afrique said...

Beautiful, powerfull and inspiring blog promoting our beautiful mother land continent. AFRICA!. Love it.

www.rshanphonsi.com

Thisislabel said...

Thank you so much for reading, I appreciate your contribution. God bless.

Unknown said...

May their dreams come true ....such a captivating and intense post...nice one